Outreach and service
I have volunteered with several amazing organizations to communicate my science and foster diversity in STEM, including:
- Marine Biologist in Training, New England Aquarium (Boston, MA)
- Mentoring Young Scientists, Virginia Aquarium (Norfolk, VA)
- Girls Advancing in STEM (Chapel Hill, NC)
- Toledo Institute for Development and Environment (Punta Gorda, Belize)
- National Ocean Sciences Bowl, Blue Heron Bowl (Chapel Hill, NC)
- SciREN: Scientific Research and Education Network, NC Museum of Natural History (Raleigh, NC)
I am interested in finding new ways to disseminate my work to a broader audience. Through my participation in the Advanced Science Communication Seminar, run by Virginia Sea Grant and George Mason University, I created the video below that summarizes the importance of my Master's thesis work.
In February 2020, I had the opportunity to present a TED-like talk at the Virginia Sea Grant Graduate Symposium. Check out the full talk here!